Friday, December 30, 2011

Dinner Tonight - New Recipe

I am always on the hunt for new recipes to try. I found this recipe on Pinterest. My Denise told me about this website some time ago. She sent me an invitation to join which I did. I set up several "boards", however did not know what to do from there. I was talking to her earlier this week and she helped me in "pinning" stuff to my boards. So instead of saving all the things I like, including recipes, I can "pin" them to my boards. You can also follow other peoples boards. So that is how I found this recipe. It sounded good and quite simple to put together. I made it for dinner tonight...we both enjoyed it...

It is called "Low Fat Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice CasseroleMy dinner plate.


Here's the recipe:


Preheat oven to 425 degrees.


1/2 c chopped onion (1 medium)

1 T olive oil

1 package (6.9 ounce) chicken flavored rice and vermicellin mix (like Rice-a-Roni)

14 ounce can of chicken broth

2 c water

2 c chopped, cooked chicken (I parboiled 2 chicken breasts)

1 c chopped, seeded tomato (2 medium)

3 T canned diced green chile peppers, drained (I just scooped out 3 T's from the can)

1 1/2 tsp. chili powder (I only used 1 tsp)

1 tsp dried basil, crushed (I just scooped out a tsp)

1/8 tsp ground cumin

1/8 tsp black pepper

1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese ( used 1/2 of a bag of Mexican blend cheese)


1. In a saucepan cook onion in hot oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in rice and vermicelli mix (including seasoning packet), cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in broth and water. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 20 minutes (liquid will not be fully absorbed).


2. Transfer the rice mixture to a large bowl. Stir in chicken, tomatoes, and seasonings. Transfer to a 2 quart casserole dish.


3. Bake, covered in a 425 degreen for 25 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.


I was afraid this would be too spicey for me, however it was not...Gerry would have liked more spice. I thought it needed some salt.


It was good and I will make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment