Monday, December 20, 2010

What A Night!!!

Gerry was told that tonight at the Roseville Galleria Mall there was going to be a "flash mob" singing of the Hallelujah Chorus in the food court or in front of Penney's. Both of us have seen different "Youtubes" of this sort of thing happening so we decided to go see.

We were having Comcast come this afternoon to change our Internet and Telephone service from AT&T to Comcast. The technician arrived on time and it didn't take him long to do what needed to be done. Gerry said the "flash mob" was happening at 7pm. So we left here about 5:30pm to give us plenty of time to get there and get a viewing spot. The traffic and crowds would be a nightmare. We got there by 6pm and didn't have too much trouble finding a parking spot. I believe I mentioned in an earlier post that there was a horrendous fire at the Galleria back in October and the part that was heavily damaged was closed off. We were on the upper level and finally got over to Penney's. We stood there for about an hour. Gerry looked at his phone at 7pm and nothing was happening. Then we overheard some people saying that there was a huge crowd over by the food court. So we walked over there. There were so many people in that location that it got kind of scary. I was starting to panic and told Gerry I needed to get out of there. There was no where to move. Gerry told me to hold on to him and he was going to try and move away from there. Just then an announcement was made that the Fire Department was closing the Mall and evacuating people. There were lots of booing going on. We managed to get away and started to walk towards Nordstroms where there is an exit to a section of the parking lot. Gerry told me to go outside and wait for him and he would bring the car around to get me. We had parked on the opposite side of the mall.

I had decided not to take a purse with me and I also didn't have my cell phone with me so I couldn't call him. He had to walk quite a distance to get to the car and then he couldn't move for the traffic. I was beginning to panic and 2 different ladies offered their phone to me to call him. The first time he didn't answer his phone. He answered when a 2nd lady offered her phone to me. He told me that he had parked the car and was waiting for the traffic to thin out. I guess at one point he had walked back into the mall. That must have been when I called him the first time. Anyway, the 2nd lady and her daughter offered to stay with me until he came. She came to the mall to do her Christmas shopping. He finally managed to get to me after almost 2 hours of waiting.

We were telling everyone that walked up to the doors that the mall was closed and what happened. Gerry said he saw a long line of ambulances and fire trucks waiting as he walked to the car. There was even a helicopter overhead. A couple of camera men walked up to the doors too.

According to online newstories, people were saying that they could feel the floor on the 2nd level creaking and popping and supposedly there were cracks in the flooring. Gerry isn't believing those reports.

The choral group went outside and performed. They were members of the Sacramento Choral Group and people from some local churches.

We went over to Mimi's across the street from the mall and had something to eat. As soon as I got in the car, I started coughing and could not stop. As soon as we got home I took some cough syrup and a cold pill. I got so cold and being sick was not a good thing.

We were so bummed in not hearing the choral group and then the whole nightmare of trying to connect. I've sung the Hallelujah Chorus many times and always enjoyed doing would have been fantastic to have been able to hear it tonight.

On the rain storms, we had some sun today, lots of wind, no rain. I think tomorrow is suppose to be nice with more rain tomorrow night and Wednesday. Clear on Thursday and then more rain for Christmas. The lunar eclipse is going on right now, the skies were clear when we came in at 10:30pm and the moon could be seen.

I think I'm going to take more cough syrup and go to sleep.


  1. WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!! That's how stampedes happen. Glad everything turned out okay.

  2. Yeah, me too!! Think I'll watch these kind of things on You Tube...much safer!!