Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Grandpa Hulihe'e

Here's another picture from days gone by....
My grandfather, David Hulihe'e...he was my mother's father. That's brother Eddie next to Grandpa, then sister Ernie in front of Eddie, sister Nani ( I don't know who she is holding. It could be baby brother Sam, I'm not sure) and then me. I was 8 years old when Sam was born and I don't look that old in this picture. I'll have to ask Nani if she knows.

I don't remember a lot about grandpa. From my earliest memories, he and grandma were not together, so I don't know when they were divorced. Grandpa was born on the big island of Hawai'i and worked for a sugar cane plantation on Kaua'i. He was an avid golfer and after retirement he was a golf pro at the Ala Wai Golf Course in Honolulu and then did maintenance at the course. I can remember Daddy taking us kids to see Grandpa at the golf course. We would also see him when we went to visit Uncle Sonny, mom's brother. Grandpa was at Uncle's house a lot.

It is through Grandpa's father's family that there is royal blood. The Hulihe'e Palace in Kailua-Kona on the Big Island is named for the family.

I love looking at these old pictures and trying to remember what was taking place when the picture was taken. :)

4 comments:

  1. Great post Betty. Love your old photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love looking at old pictures and hearing about family history! I especially love hearing about your family history! You have such an incredible story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - how neat to look at such a nostalgic photo.

    And how cool about his ancestry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I don't know what the problem has been in getting into the comments left on my posts...I got right in now...strange...thanks for your comments, ladies!!

    ReplyDelete