Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sweet & Sour Spareribs

A month or so ago, my blog friend from Hawaii, Jalna, put a post on her blog about a dish her husband fixed for dinner, called Sweet & Sour Spareribs. The recipe is from a cookbook called "Hawaii's Best Local Dishes". Her husband had fixed something else from this cookbook and it looked so good that I ordered the cookbook. Sweet & Sour Country Pork Strips
I wanted to fix some of these spareribs, however, I ended up getting Country Pork Strips because I couldn't find spareribs at Bel Air. They don't cut them like they use to. We had to go back to the Nissan dealer this afternoon to take the pink slip for the Ford to them so I decided to put these in the crockpot. I cut the strips into smaller pieces and then I rolled them in flour, browned them in a saucepan then put them in the crockpot that I had preheated on low. I mixed up the sauce and poured it over the meat and covered it. It cooked on low for about 3 and a half hours and were so tender. They were good, however, didn't really have the sweet and sour taste that I remembered from my dad making these when I was growing up. I will have to experiment with the measurements of the sauce.
I served it with rice and fresh broccoli and put a little of the sauce on the meat and rice. Jalna, thanks for doing your post. There's a little leftover.
Here's the recipe if anyone wants to try this:
Sweet & Sour Spareribs
3 lbs of spareribs or country pork strips
1/2 cup flour for coating ( I just put some flour in a bowl, I don't measure)
3 T oil for browning ribs (I used olive oil)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
1 T salt (I seasoned the meat while it was browning, didn't measure)
1/2 cup cider vinegar
4 T sugar
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
Coat ribs with flour and brown ribs in hot oil. Drain oil. Mix rest of the ingredients and add to ribs. Simmer ribs for 2 hours, or until soft. Stir to prevent sticking.
Note: Can be cooked one day, refrigerated and the next day, remove the fat that has formed and warm up to serve.
This morning I drove the van to Bel Air. I discovered how sensitive the brake and gas pedals are. I was backing out of the carport and it wasn't going. So I gave it a little bit more gas and it shot out of the carport. Scared the living daylights out of me!!! So have to be careful and not use a lot of pressure on the gas pedal. Just one of many things to get use to. Oh, and I did the same thing Gerry did, I mistook the windshield wiper handle for the gear shift. The window washing solution went every where. :) It was very comfortable driving, I was able to reach the pedals without having the seat so far up that the steering wheel was up too close.
Oh, we found out today, we get a free car wash whenever we want for as long as we own the vehicle. We ran it through the car wash again! :)
I'll be driving it tomorrow to bible study and I take the freeway. The Ford had a lot of pep to it and this one does too.
Well, it's 11:45 pm and I get up early so I better get myself to bed. Talk at you all later!!

1 comment:

  1. It looks soo ono. I think I like your Country Pork Strips better than spareribs. I don't really care with messing with the bones and stuff. I'll suggest it to Wendell, or who knows I might try to make it myself. It's so funny about your windshield wiper hande.

    ReplyDelete