Last October Gerry did a ride over in Lakeport, northwest of Sacramento. The ride was around Clear Lake. I found a quilt shop to browse around in and purchased some material to make some tote bags.
This one is blue with hydrangea flowers.
The lining is a pale blue.
I purchased the canvas tote bag from Hobby Lobby. Then used double sided fusible interfacing on the hanky, fusing it first to the hanky then to the bag. I then sewed all around the outside of the hanky on the bag. That was a little tricky, however being able to remove part of the sewing arm on the machine made it possible.
I trimmed the handles with large purple rickrack. Before I sewed in the lining, I sewed a pony tail band in for a loop. I covered a button with some of the lining fabric and sewed that on the front.
This project I started back in April. It took about 3 weeks to complete it.
I purchased 6 fat quarter pieces of fabric, all different...different colors and patterns...and cut each one in 3 6 inch strips. I sewed each of those together and then top stitched each strip. I also purchased one fat quarter to use as a border. After I got all the strips together, I realized that I was going to need more fabric for the border and would have to do rows. So back to the quilt shop I went. The owner of the shop had helped me pick out the fabric, initially, so she helped me pick another piece of fabric to use. Thankfully they had more of the first fat quarter I had bought to do the border.
To break up the rows, I sewed white rick rack between each row and top stitched each row. It has an elastic waist. I finished in time to wear it out to eat on Mother's day. I really love the way it turned out and it is fun to wear.