Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Hashbrown-Pork Chop Casserole & Erik's visit

Erik came to town last week for a short visit. He had driven to Texas, Arizona and Southern California before he came to Sacramento. He got into town last Wednesday and came here for dinner. Here is what I fixed for dinner. I got the recipe from one of the food blogs that I follow.

Browning pork chops.


Hashbrowns thawing in a pan.

The casserole put together.


This is my plate.


Here he is...Erik lives in Mountain Home, ID. He and Jason went on a PGR mission with Gerry Thursday night. I tagged along...he left Friday morning to head home.


Here's the recipe:

Hasbrown-Pork Chop Casserole

4 bone-in pork chops (I used 6 chops)

1 T oil

1 cup sour cream (8 oz. container)

1 can (10 3/4 oz) cream of celery soup (Campbells)

1/2 cup milk

Frozen shredded hasbrowns (32 oz package), thawed

1 cup onion, chopped (I used a small onion, chopping the whole thing)

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

salt & pepper, to taste


Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Season both sides of pork chops with salt & pepper

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown pork chops on both sides, in hot oil.

Set aside. Be sure not to cook pork chops all the way through, they will finish cooking in the oven.


In a large bowl, combine sour cream, soup and milk.

Stir in hashbrowns and onion.


Spread hashbrown mixture in an ungreased 9x13 baking dish and sprinkle with cheese.

Top with pork chops.


Bake uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes or heated through and pork chops are fully cooked.


Recipe Note: Would not recommend using thin cut pork chops for this recipe since the longer baking time may cause them to become dry.



This was very good, even though I forgot the cheese. We had leftovers the next day...

2 comments:

  1. I love how you can see your reflection in the mirror on the last picture!! Your pork chop dish looks so yummy even without the cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha!! I didn't even notice that!!! That mirror can be such a pain sometimes. I was taking pictures of my table decorated for Christmas and my nativity and I was getting frustrated with the mirror...I'll post those later.

    ReplyDelete