Thursday, September 23, 2010

Dinners

I've been meaning to blog all week and just haven't done it. When I think about it, it is too late and I just want to go to bed.


This past Monday we got this packet of Lawry's seasoning in the newspaper. It sounded interesting so decided to use it for dinner that night.






It went together very easily. Gerry and I both enjoyed it, it had a very good flavor. It did, however, need a little bit more liquid as the some of the pasta didn't get cooked. And the chicken needed some salt and pepper. So here's the ingredients and how to fix it:
1 1/2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breast halves ( I used a package of 4 breasts)
1 1/4 cups of penne pasta, uncooked
1/4 cup of sliced pitted black olives (I used 2 small cans)
1 cup water
1 can (15 oz) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (I didn't measure...just sprinkled the cheese on)
Place chicken, pasta and olives in a 9x13 inch baking dish
Mix water, seasoning mix and tomatoes in a bowl until well blended.
Pour over chicken and pasta. Stir to coat well. Cover with foil.
Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut chicken into serving size pieces. Stir pasta before serving. (I didn't cut the chicken up).
Options: To make Chicken Cacciatore Casserole: Prepare as above using 1 cup each of sliced mushrooms and bell pepper strips, and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese in place of the olives and feta cheese.
Tonight I made a big pot of stew. It is very simply made and is so good. I forgot to take a picture so here is a picture of the tupperware bowl I put the leftovers in. The aroma was so incredible when I was taking this picture. It will be even better tomorrow. :-)
Here's how I make my stew:
2 packages of cut up stew meat
1 onion cut in wedges
3 potatoes, peeled and cut up
3 carrots, peeled and cut up
2 cans of stewed tomatoes
1 small can of tomato sauce
a small amount of water to rinse out the cans and add to the pot
salt and pepper
First, I brown the meat in a large pot with some olive oil. Then I add the onion and stir them together. When the meat is just about all browned, I season it with salt and pepper. Then I add the stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir everything together, put a lid on the pot and turn the flame down on the burner. It simmers away happily for a couple of hours or more. I'll check on it a few times and give it a stir.
While it is cooking away, I'll get the potatoes and carrots ready and put them in a bowl with some water so the potatoes don't turn brown. About an hour or so before the stew is done, I'll add the potatoes and carrots and season it again with salt and pepper. I don't add any other seasonings. The stewed tomatoes I use are seasoned. I cook rice and serve up the stew over rice. This is pure comfort food!!
Our weather has been so nice. However, according to the weather service, it is suppose to heat up into the 90's for the rest of the week and Sunday is suppose to be about 94 degrees. The nights are nice and cool so its okay if it is hot during the day. :)

2 comments:

  1. Both dishes look so good. I like that you don't have to boil the pasta first - just my style.

    ReplyDelete